Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Letters to Germany

One of the challenges that I was most looking forward to was getting a penpal.  My friend Tamara requested to be my penpal, but I was really looking to meet someone new as a penpal.  That being said, I compromised and got two penpals: Tamara and a new person.

I had looked on-line for how to find snail mail penpals, but most of the websites seemed to be more of a dating site than a site to meet a penpal.  Then I found www.globalpenfriends.com.  I posted a quick profile of myself and what I was looking for, and then pretty much forgot I had done so.

A few days later, I received a message from a woman in Germany.  Her name is Kathi, she's about my age, and lives in the town of Kellmunz.  I received my first letter from her a few weeks ago.

It turns out we have quite a bit in common.  She's 31 and has been married to her husband for a few years.  They have dogs but no kids, and her husband works for the army over there.  She enjoys walking the dogs, cooking, and listening to music.  She works as a police officer right now but is going to school to get an education degree.

I wrote her back before I left for Iowa.  She and her husband are on vacation in Italy right now (how cool would it be to live in Europe and be able to easily visit all those different countries?), so my letter should be waiting for her when she gets back.  She said she would send a letter from Italy, so I promised to send a postcard from Iowa.  Haha, totally not the same, but it's the best I can do.


I think not only have I completed one of my goals, but I'm pretty sure my 10 year old self would be thrilled by the fact that I have a penpal in another country.

No comments:

Post a Comment